Thursday, January 8, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake

I was hoping to make a cake for a birthday party that would stratify several dietary restrictions. I was hoping to find a nice firm cake that would work in my Nordicware® Castle Bundt® cake mold and taste good. A co-worker who has won awards for baking recommended the Wilton® basic cake recipe which I could find on their website. I substituted the wheat flour with spelt flour and did a test run in 2-9” round pans. The resulting cake was quite tasty but seemed a little too soft to nicely slide out of a fancy Bundt cake pan. We at one of the cakes over the next few days and the other one was slid into a freezer bag and popped into the freezer.

While I was planning a New Years Micro Party the kids announced we had to have cake for a party. It sounded like a good idea since I had one in the freezer waiting to be eaten. I purchased frozen blue berries and strawberries to top the cake. The kids were not thrilled with this part of the plan. I offered Nutella® spread as an alternative. They were liking that a bit more. My son thought peanut butter would make an even better frosting for his cake. So there you are personalized cake slices. I used silicone cup cake holders to hold 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter or Nutella spread which I placed on a plate next to a slice of cake. The kids had fun ‘frosting’ their own piece of cake. I didn’t have the heart to tell the two kids who will typically lick off all of the sugary frosting and leave the cake that they picked a much healthier alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment