Sunday, December 28, 2008

Tinkyada® Fusilli Brown Rice Pasta


My sister gave me one of the most thoughtful presents this past year. She knew that I really didn’t “need” anything and live in a relatively small home. So she went grocery shopping for me. She bought a bag full of gluten-free pastas and flours for me. Most of the ones she found were things I hadn’t tried yet. It was time to do some experimenting.

Tinkyada® Fussilli brown rice pasta is one of the pastas she gave me. I decided to try it in the kids’ favorite homemade macaroni and cheese. Usually I use Ancient Harvest® quinoa corn elbow pasta. In the past when I have changed just the shape of the pasta I have met resistance at the dinner table. This time though there was no resistance. The kids loved it. The noodles cooked up very nicely. They held their shape and had a wonderful taste and texture.

Okay the kids can eat Kraft Easy Mac but that is usually reserved for their school lunches or quick meals at home when I fine with just a salad. But if I want to also enjoy the warm gooey cheesey comfort food I need to make it from scratch. Usually there are no leftovers but if there are they can keep for a few days in the frig, but rarely last past lunch the next day.

My quick and easy working mom Mac & Cheese

  • 1 box of wheat-free elbow noodles
  • 6-10 slices American cheese
  • ¼ cup low fat milk
  • dab of Golden’s spicy brown mustard

Cook the noodles according to the directions on the box. While the noodles are cooking I melt the slices of cheese with the milk and spicy brown mustard in the microwave. After the noodles are drained they go back into the pot and the cheese mixture is mixed in.


Pictured is homemade macaroni and cheese with homemade lentil soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment