Friday, October 31, 2008

Eureka A Ukulele Case

My little girl has been clinging to the box her ukulele came in to carry it everywhere. It came in a brown box and had no case of its own. I told her I would make her a case for her ukulele. She was excited by the promise and now I just needed to find a way to do it for her. I’ve never made anything like that before.

Last weekend we went to a Jo-Ann fabric and craft store to get some supplies. We came out of the store with a little fusible batting, extra wide bias tape, a 30” zipper and a pair of bamboo handles. Once we were back home I started with tracing the out line of her ukulele onto some packing paper and picking out fabric. I thought the pink and blue flower fabrics I got while on vacation in Hawaii would be perfect. I cut out and ironed together the front and back pieces with the fusible batting then put the whole project down for a day to think about how I was going to assemble the rest of the pieces.

Two nights latter I picked it up again. I was planning on taking it one step at a time to see how far I could get. I was hoping my daughter could use it the next day but there was no rush…. until she saw me working on it. Then I had to do what I could to get it done so she wouldn’t be disappointed the next morning. I was up until past 1 am but I finished it. When she woke up the next morning she asked if it was done. I told her it was and where I had left it. She took off for it. I saw her hesitate in front of it and give out the adorable little giggly squeak. She picked it up and turned it all around with a huge smile on her face. I asked if she liked it and she said yes and then said thank you. The look on her face made getting less then 4 hours of sleep the night before all worth it. She barely would put it down to get dressed or in to the car to go to school. When I left her at school she was still holding onto it.

No comments:

Post a Comment