Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Spiced Chai Black Tea


After months of searching I have finally found a suitable replacement for the Trader Joe’s® Spiced Chai tea I so loved. Trader Joe’s discontinued my favorite chai tea because it wasn’t selling well in all of their markets. Our area was one of the few selling out. This started a several month long search to find a suitable replacement. There are as many blends of chai tea as there are recipes for gumbo or spaghetti sauce. I was out to find the one with just the right blend of spices for me. I found many to be disappointing. Some contain chicory which I don’t care for at all. It seems everyone I know who drinks coffee likes chicory while those who don't agree it should not be in our tea. Others were very strong in one spice or another often to the point of being overpowering. Yogi® tea was one which tasted more of black pepper then any other spice.

A coworker introduced me to the Stash® Premium Chai Green Tea. She found it at Giant Foods. It has a very nice blend of spices to make a very nice flavor. It has the sharpness of a green tea with a complementary blend of chai spices.

I found Allegro® Fine Tea Indian Chai organic black tea at Whole Foods. This is a wonderful delicate blend of spices that are very smooth to the taste. This black tea is a “Classic Indian chai with exotic sweet spices” including cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, clove and black pepper. This pleasurable organic tea is in individual tea bags which are 100 % biodegradable.

My mornings are now complete with my Trudeau® Breast Cancer Awareness Mug my new found chai tea.

A note about my travel mug: I found my Trudeau Breast Cancer Awareness Mug at Bed Bath and Beyond even though I was skeptical about it’s claims about being spill proof. I have often since tested its spill proof qualities between having 2 young children and driving in suburban traffic. When closed it can discharge about a quarters worth of liquid when tips over or rolls a cross the car floor. It seems to be just what ever is trapped above the locked seal. At work I will often mix my sugar in my tea by locking the seal and shaking my mug upside down over the sink. It works great and keeps my tea hot for hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment