Friday, August 22, 2008

Harvard Beets

I had friends over for dinner last night. I confirmed food allergies and preferences then came up with a possible menu. I included one of my favorite childhood dishes, Harvard Beets. To my surprise one of our guess had never had beets before. I’ve introduced her to a few other foods like kasha and split pea soup. Why not add one more to the list? I’m happy to say they liked it.

Harvard Beets

  • Fresh beets: boiled, peeled, & chopped
  • Apple cider vinegar
  • Water
  • Sugar
  • Corn starch

Add about equal parts of vinegar water and sugar to sauce pan with the beets. Bring to a simmer. Dissolve a teaspoon or two of corn starch in some cold water. Quickly stir the corn starch mixture into the pot. When the sauce is clear to the desired thickness, it is ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment