Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Squirrels

Shortly after I posted the blog “Corn, Watermelon and Zucchini, Oh My” saying how well my corn was doing the squirrels also decided it was doing well. They climbed up the stalks, stripped off the husk and ate the corn where it stood. Two ears broke off and they dragged them through the yard and gnawed them down to nearly nothing. I solved the "The Mystery of Vanishing Tomatoes" when I discovered these same adorable furry critters were running off with not only my wonderful vine ripened tomatoes but also the green tomatoes. Just last week I saw a hawk try to corner one of these well feed critters in the cul-de-sac. At the time I wasn’t sure who to route for, now I know. I need to find a way to help the hawks or fox capture a few squirrel dinners or other eco-friendly ways of reducing their population.

If you have any suggestions for protecting our gardens or discouraging squirrels my fellow gardening neighbors and I would love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment