Saturday, May 10, 2008

Avon Walk: Gear


How do you pack for a day of walking? I was a Girl Scout so being prepared runs through my mind more then traveling light for just about every trip or thing I do. The belt above is about 8 pounds of being prepared. Keep in mind that over 3 pounds of that is drinks (3-20 ounce bottles). Because of my food allergies I pretty much carry what I'll need for the day with me. There were carrots, bananas and grapes at different stops which I did eat; just about everything else contained at least one thing I'm allergic to.

Body Glide anti-chafing is the wonderful stuff. Just roll this stuff on any place anything rubs and you are set to go. I made sure my feet were thoroughly coated and carried some so I could reapply it at the midway point each day. One woman told me she won’t break in a new bra without it. It can be found at most hiking or running shops

Medication: Benadryl is always a safe thing to have with you when you have any kind of allergies: food, insect bites, etc. I also made sure I had two doses of each Tylenol and aspirin.


Gel hand cleaner: What did we do without this stuff. Yes soap and water is best but when you don’t have that around this is second best.

Rain Coat: They called for rain over the weekend all week. I tried the trust worthy way of making sure it didn’t rain – I carried a rain coat. It worked I carried a rain coat and it didn't rain.

My Walking Survival Kit

  • Smilie face purse with bright yellow rain poncho.
  • Leather pouch for Body Glide with sunscreen, lip gloss with sunscreen, lanolin, gel hand cleaner, map of down town DC.
  • Two bottles of Oregon Chai Lates (Yum!)
  • Camera
  • Cell phone
  • Little Black bag: Zone Bar, turkey jerky, dried fruit, tissues, route map, Tea To Go and Propell packets.
  • Water bottle, bandages, antibiotic ointment, Tylenol, aspirin, Benadryl, and eye glass repair kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment