Split Pea Soup
- Olive oil
- Onion, chopped in big chunks
- 1 bag dried split peas, rinsed (usually green but other color peas work too)
- Carrots, pealed and sliced into 1-1.5" pieces
- 1 lb Smoked turkey, ask deli for one slab- not sandwich slices, cut into cubes
- 2 pk Trader Joe's Savory broth vegetable - reduced sodium liquid concentrate (or other broth or bouillon)
- Black pepper and garlic to taste
- Bay leaf
Sauté onion in olive oil in 2 qt or larger pot
Add peas, carrots, broth packets, turkey, spices, and about 6 cups of water.
Simmer over med to med low heat, occasionally stirring and checking if more water is needed.
When the carrots are soft and the peas have absorbed enough water to form a pot of molten green lava its ready.
Split peas soup can be made without any meat and is just as tasty.