Sunday, July 27, 2008

Spelt Zucchini Pancakes


I did a little experimenting this morning. I made a batch of the regular banana pancakes and then I pulled out the zucchini. While the family was chowing down on banana pancakes I was grating fresh zucchini from the garden. The husband wanted to know what the green stuff was and what I was making. When I told him pancakes it was met with total disbelief. The basic recipe is a modification of a 1984 Joy of Cooking pancake batter

Zucchini Pancakes

1 c whole spelt flour
½ c white spelt flour
1 t salt
3 T sugar
2 t double-acting baking powder
1 t ground cardamom
1/4 t ground nutmeg
1 dash ground clove

1 large egg
3 T melted butter
1 c skim milk
1 medium zucchini, grated

Sift together the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together quickly. Spoon onto hot oiled griddle. Cook until bubbles are firm, flip and cook until golden.

Finished pancakes can be frozen. I use plastic lids (coffee can plastic lids) with the rims cut off between the pancakes to make separating easier while they are frozen.

I loved them. The husband thought they were okay. One kid refused to try them because they had green spots. The other kid tried them (twice) but said she didn’t like them. Oh well, more for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment